Thursday 29 September 2016

Preparation, preparation, preparation...

...and a bit of training too. I have been doing regular walks up to 24 miles several times a week for about a month. It has been hot and dry and I am sure that I wont have this weather and a need to carry several litres of water on the PW. All accounts I have read of the PW talk about peat bogs and constant / consistent rain. AW himself talks about how his Pennine Way Companion was "completed in a hurry after several delays (due to continuous rain, of course)" and says that "you are almost certain to have an interesting journey in better conditions than I had". I hope so, but I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

The PW is hilly, it wouldn't be called the Pennines otherwise. However, dont let anyone tell you that the South of England and Kent in particular is flat. The ascent and descent of the PW sections are going to be similar to my training walks up and down the North Downs with a few exceptions.

Living in the balmy south has its rewards. Here is some of the wildlife I encountered.


Seriously! This beautiful Tortoise was walking, very fast in the afternoon heat, along the path towards me, just two weeks ago. To cut a long story short I picked him (?) up and left him with a helfpful lady at a nearby house who offered to try and reunite him with his keeper. I couldn't leave him wandering the countryside, close to a tarmac road. However, I was very tempted to take him home but did not relish the idea of walking the next 8 miles with him either in my hand or stuffed in my rucksac.

The other thing that the south has is tea rooms in abundance and I have to admit to being a regular at the Cafe at Igtham Mote (National Trust, just off the Greensand Way) where they do a fine, and very large, date slice.


All the training is done. Not that that means I am now match fit; I have done as much as I can in the time I have. My time now is being spent getting my routes finalised and uploaded into the GPS (I know, but it gives me confidence since I will be on my own) and my paper maps (A-Z Adventure series strip map) marked up for easy viewing; sorting food, clothes; boots; camping gear etc.

Catherine is doing similar for her cycling trips and is finding that the roads are few in number and are not shy about going straight up the hills rather than round them.

All in all, nearly ready for Wednesday's departure with our first day on the hill on Thursday the 8th.

AW (thats me, not Alfred)

1 comment: