Friday 30 September 2016

The Pennine Way, and why not?

The Pennine Way

A walk of about 268 miles from Edale in Derbyshire to Kirk Yetholm in The Scottish Borders. Known as "The Big One" amongst followers of long distance footpaths in the UK.

This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time; I have had The Pennine Way Companion, Alfred Wainwright's original 1968 description of the route, since receiving it as a school prize in 1977. I have not had the time to plan, train and do the walk, until now. I notice that the "Companion" was on its 49th impression even in the 11 years since its first one; a measure of the popularity of the walk and the guide or a measure of how few copies were printed at a time?

Whilst in my younger days I have backpacked a few long distance footpaths carrying my house on my back (tent, sleeping bag, mat, cooking equipment and food) the pleasure gained from the independence of that approach is far outweighed by the suffering and it no longer has the same appeal. So, I am to be supported by my coach and driver, aka my wife Catherine. Catherine will be driving our VW Camper Van, Gloria and doing her own thing by bicycle whilst I am out in the hills. I do have one overnight camp requiring backpacking at the very end of the route, by which time I will be fit or looking for an alternative option.

I have divided the walk into 16 sections and have planned a few rest days to recouperate and re-stock en route.

The Naked Man Cafe, Settle, not on the route but we will be spending a rest day in Settle and I have no doubt that we will be partaking of tea and cakes in this establishment.
So, I have been encouraged to write a blog by a few friends and family including Shelagh who is an expert with this blogging thing on her own long distance walks. I will attempt to keep you posted as we go along, "subject to the usual bumflufferies" of internet connection and my ability to work with this format whilst in relatively remote locations.

Adrian.

No comments:

Post a Comment