Tuesday 27 September 2016

Day 2 Crowden to Marsden or "moor" of the same



We are currently sitting in the comfort of Gloria whilst a gale blows outside and heavy rain is forecast overnight. Thankfully we have escaped the worst of the rain whilst out in the hills and on the roads. We have not fared so well with the wind however. Whilst for me it was mostly on my back, or left side, sort of blowing me along, I could have done without the constant pushing; like being in an unruly queue at the bar without the reward at the end. Catherine fared less favourably and arrived at the campsite after me from a relatively short, but by all accounts, very hilly and windy ride. Having to pedal in low gear down the hills is no fun.

Day 2 on the Way was pretty much the same as day 1. More black peat bogs, stone flag paths and the occasional trig point. That’s not to say it was dull, far from it. I had good views from Black Hill.  Black Hill has a reputation amongst PW devotees. Wainwright described it as a “desolate and hopeless quagmire”. He also said that every hill is worth climbing, except Black Hill. I think he was a bit harsh, although the “trek through glutinous slime” is probably no longer there due to the flag stones. 

Black Hill Trig Point, known as Soldier's Lump, after the Royal Egineers who built it.

I met a fellow PW walker who also set off from Edale yesterday; earlier than we did. He is backpacking, carrying 22 kilos of stuff. He is young. We chatted for a while then he decided to stop for lunch and we went our separate ways. I don’t think I bored him, I think he genuinely wanted to stop for lunch; he needs all the calories he can get. I expected him to catch me up as I also stopped for lunch when I found a suitable concrete structure to sit on by the side of a sluice gate feeding one of the many reservoirs I passed, however I never saw him again. Hopefully, he is not stranded in a bog and I will see him tomorrow.  

I found evidence of other backpackers who had been so overwhelmed by their burden that they had abandoned non-essential gear at the side of the path. I know that feeling.

 
Abandoned gear? I left it there in case the intention was to return.

One of the reservoirs was Black Moss reservoir, built to feed the Huddersfield canal. The construction ended in disaster when the dam busrt in 1810 and six people were drowned. 

 
Black Moss reservoir.
Today’s walk was short at 13 miles. This was almost a rest day in preparation for the next three long days.  To Hebden Bridge tomorrow.

Towards the end of the walk today I came across this stone. I read it as M11 (or M2) 750 yards. Strange. 


 Garmin says: 13 miles; max speed 6mph; moving average 3.1mph, overall average 2.4mph; time 5hrs 10 minutes, with 1hr stoppage time. A bit slower today, probably because I knew it was a short day and took my time taking in the views.

AW

1 comment:

  1. Your Mum and I are pleased that you and Catherine have prevailed those kind of conditions that you mentioned and wish you both luck in the next stages.

    ReplyDelete