Monday 12 September 2016

Day 14 Bellingham to Byrness. The guidebook said “no bogs”…


Guess what? The guidebook was wrong. If I am boring you with my boggy tales, spare a thought for me!  The guidebook said that today would be an easy stage across moorlands with fine views but bog hopping skills required and then forests with no bogs but no views either. Wrong, on a number of points. No views from the moors (weather related), and the forests were a swamp, as I expected. There were also views of tomorrow’s route from the forest road. At least today I managed to keep my feet dry. 

Today I was in Redesdale Forest. The guidebook lumps all the forests together under the name of Kielder Forest but Wainwright, correctly I think, lists 6 separate forests of which Keilder is one straddling the border of England and Scotland.  The forest plantations began in response to a perceived timber shortage after the first world war and planting went on into the 1950s and the Border Forest Park was created in 1955. 

Path or bog?

Fire fighting equipment. A bucket would be easier.
Given that the planting to harvest time is supposed to be 40 years, I wonder if that has been borne out by economics. Is it more costly to harvest than the timber is now worth?  Clearly some harvesting has been done because there are sections of baron land visible, but only small patches. Some sections appear to have been replanted too but huge expanses seem to be being left to age.

I did spot some felled trees by the side of the road but these appear to have been felled for safety reasons as much as anything as there was a farmhouse nearby. I counted the rings on one and it was 53, planted in 1963 / 4 and well past its 40 year cycle.

Cut timber. 53, I reckon.
We are now camped in Byrness, the last habitation on the PW before Kirk Yetholm. Byrness was built to house forestry workers in the 1930s and has 47 dwellings, a hotel and a garage. Some of the people evacuated from St Kilda in 1930 were also re-settled here. Given that there is not much around here now by way of work, the forest having been planted, the reservoirs built and not much harvesting going on, it’s a wonder it survives. Its survival helped no doubt by the steady flow of people passing through on the PW.
Catherine cycled to Kielder Reservoir to see the dam and have tea and cake at Falstone where there is also an art installation commemorating / celebrating the villages that were “drowned” in the construction of the reservoir. Victoria sandwich was on the menu, but it had “issues” in that it contained butter cream; jam only please.

The final two stages are ahead. I had a good view of the Cheviots from the forest road and the climb up from Byrness looks tough, as it always does from a distance but hopefully not so in reality.

The Cheviots on the horizon.

I will be climbing and traversing that ridge on the horizon tomorrow and Sunday. It is 29 miles from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm, too far to do in one day. Too far for me anyway, others do it in one hit, I won’t be. As a result I will be backpacking the last two days, carrying a small one person tent, sleeping bag, stove, food etc and camping at Davidson’s Linn, a waterfall about a mile off the route at Windy Gyle. Windy Gyle! Says it all, some people camp on the ridge, I won’t be!

So, I will be offline for two days, assuming I can publish this one which is a tall order and assuming I can get internet access in Kirk Yetholm, also a tall order. Not far now.

Bring your own axe?
Can't see the path? No, neither could I.

AW

No comments:

Post a Comment